Further the development and proper application of accounting and auditing standards for state and local governments, including school districts. Bring to the attention of the responsible officials of state government, cities, school districts, and other political subdivisions, the value of services which can be rendered to them in the public interest by certified public accountants.
- Present the annual Governmental Accounting Conference each spring to focus attention on recent developments in governmental accounting and auditing, and to improve rapport and communications with federal, state and local government agencies, completing all topic and speaker selection by December 31 of the preceding year.
- Designate a member of the committee to participate in the Mid-America Intergovernmental Audit Forum and advise the committee regarding relevant matters.
- Study current accounting and auditing literature and pronouncements related to the governmental sector for new developments and arrange for the membership to be made aware of significant developments through announcements and/or articles in The ASSET.
- Create an awareness on the part of responsible officials in state and local government of the skills inherent in and the benefits derived from the services of certified public accountants.
- Respond to questions related to governmental accounting and auditing submitted by members and political subdivisions.
- Cooperate with the Legislation Committee regarding anticipated or pending legislation related to governmental accounting and auditing.
- Recommend members to serve on the Consultation Service who are from the various chapter areas and who have the desired expertise in the primary areas of governmental accounting.
- Annually appoint a liaison member and encourage other Governmental Accounting Committee members to also serve on the Technical Standards Review Committee as a means of enhancing its expertise regarding governmental accounting matters.
- Annually appoint an individual to serve as a liaison member to the CPE curriculum development committee in order to help ensure the appropriate scheduling of governmental accounting offerings.
- Annually appoint an individual to serve as a liaison member to the Not-For-Profit Committee in order to help coordinate potential topics/speakers for the annual Governmental Accounting Conference relevant to both committees.
- Annually appoint an individual to serve as a liaison member to the Audits of School Districts Committee in order to help coordinate potential topics/speakers for the annual Governmental Accounting Conference relevant to both committees.
Join a committee today
, and help advance your career, MOCPA and the profession!