The Missouri Society of CPAs strives to increase diversity, equity and inclusion in the profession in Missouri through recruitment, retention, and advancement strategies.
As part of these efforts, MOCPA has:
- Established diversity and inclusion as a priority pillar in its Strategic Plan to ensure a strong association-wide focus is placed on identifying challenges faced by minorities in the profession, and helping develop solutions and opportunities.
- Formed a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee to fulfill the goals and mission set forth in the association’s Strategic Plan.
- Issued a statement reaffirming the association’s commitment to standing against all racial and social injustice.
- Developed a diversity and inclusion resource page on its website, which includes a compilation of webinars, articles, podcasts, TED talks, and toolkits to help members gain a better understanding of the need for diversity and inclusion in their organization and assist them in their endeavors.
- Participated in a national survey with Howard University aimed at advancing understanding about the career roadblocks faced by accounting professionals. The data collected is being used for academic research, to assess the current work environment, and improve future experiences for the profession.
- Devised a resource checklist to help guide CPA candidates from all backgrounds through the licensure process.
- Published articles in The ASSET magazine, including: “A 12-Step Plan to Address Racism and Unconscious Bias” by Kimberly Ellison-Taylor; “Underrepresented: A Personal Journey and Path Forward” by Christopher Booker; “Shifting Demographics and the Accounting Profession” by James Johnson; “Understanding and Addressing Unconscious Bias” by Kimberly Drumgo; as well as frequent articles in the society’s segmented e-newsletters.
- Offered complimentary webinars, including: “Inclusive Leadership;” “Belonging in Today’s Diverse Workplace;” “A Discussion with Ken Bouyer, EY’s Americas Director of Inclusiveness;” and the MOCPA podcast “Profession Perspectives: Diversity in Accounting.”
- Hosted monthly, complimentary Mock CPA Exam sessions that allow candidates to take an actual simulation of a CPA exam session and receive immediate feedback.
- Provided thousands of dollars annually in scholarships to minority accounting students attending Missouri universities for more than 15 years.
- Collaborated and partnered with the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) to launch a Kansas City NABA chapter; served as a speaker, sponsor and exhibitor at the NABA Midwest Regional Student Event as well as at the ACAP summer program; and hosted joint networking and educational events.
- Honored members’ efforts with the MOCPA Outstanding Diversity Advancement Award.
- Shared articles and resources on the society’s social media platforms, as well as created awareness and representation surrounding diverse holidays.
- Begun working to devise a mentoring program to help aspiring CPAs from diverse backgrounds stay the course and guide new licensees into the workforce.
- Started developing an awareness program to visit high school students in underrepresented communities.
For more information about MOCPA's diversity and inclusion efforts or to get involved, please contact Dena Hull at (800) 264-7966 or firstname.lastname@example.org